An Open Door to Conversation

An Open Door to Conversation

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Question #2: How have you approached the inner debate between peace and conflict?

Peace vs Conflict  - The Quest for Equilibrium.  

equilibrium |ˌēkwəˈlibrēəm, ˌekwə-| noun- a state in which opposing forces or influences are balanced. 


So what do you do when something throws your Chi out of whack?  

Conflict can show up like an emotional vertigo, creating a series of spins and tumbles we'd sometimes rather avoid than pick ourselves up from.  
I believe we prefer a sense of balance over instability, and we're very aware when anything threatens to tip the scales. This is not to say views can't change, or new ideas accepted, but before any decision is made we check in.

Personal opinion is the foot we stand on, or step from, and whether we step or stand, that action is directed by an inner dialog. Occasionally, this dialogue can bump up against itself, resulting in an inner debate and disrupted sense of equilibrium. 


This week's conversation is to consider this question....

How have you approached the inner debate between peace and conflict?  



Let's skip a few rocks, and create some ripples...
~Asia

4 comments:

  1. By letting go of my opinions of both. and allowing for the unfolding to happen naturally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you mention detachment. There are so many times as I have my own inner conversation over peace and conflict that I realize how effective it is to relax and not be so attached to what I think it has to look like. Many times that leads to clarity, and often the debate dissolves.

      Delete
  2. Recently it was brought to my attention that I put a positive spin on all conflict, an emotional balance of my personal scales in order to maintain peace. At first I wondered why the ability to make lemonade from lemons was being questioned. And then my equilibrium was challenged as I was asked to consider the value of embracing negative emotions that can often ride shotgun to conflict. I have experienced such internal conflicts as divorce and failed careers and yet in my effort to maintain my balance I have quickly made peace with the conflict.

    I have a brother who suffers from conflicting emotional highs and lows, something that I have often said, "I would not wish upon my worst enemy". I have empathy for brother and the emotional rollercoaster he rides between peace and conflict. However it was the empathetic look that my friend gave me when describing my nearly balanced scales of peace and conflict that made me question the value of this balance.

    The internal conflict I am now faced with is the decision to embrace conflict, to take that uncomfortable ride in order to truly understand, embrace and feel the true depth of peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the value of a good friend....and the "look". To have such a moment where introspection takes you to a place where perspective and balance bump into each other is such a gift, and yet, as I recall my own experience with receiving the "look" from a good friend, I feel like the result was more of a complete toppling than bump. It's can be such an exercise to maintain the balance, squeeze the lemons, and feel pretty darn good about the results. What a shift to reframe your perspective and question your lemonade making skills!

    I deeply appreciate how you described your decision to embrace conflict and take an "uncomfortable ride in order to truly understand, embrace and feel the true depth of peace..." I think I just got "the look".
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete