An Open Door to Conversation

An Open Door to Conversation

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Question #14: When have you let spontaneity lead the way?

The Unplanned Beauty of the Unplanned

ser·en·dip·i·ty
ˌserənˈdipədē/
noun
1.    the occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way.
synonyms:
(happy) chance, (happy) accident, fluke; 
luck, good luck, good fortune,fortuity, providence; 
happy coincidence
"the consequence of serendipity is sometimes a brilliant discovery"


I think surprises are pretty cool.  I like the raw, transparency it taps into.  Surprises are often disarming and have the potential to reveal things with accuracy and authenticity, and that can be very intimidating.  And yet, it’s a predictable part of life. 

We should expect to be surprised.

Perhaps a hope or idea created space for an unplanned experience to come into your life.  Maybe a friend or lover created an unexpected event.  Maybe you're the focus of 'The Fates' and everything lined up for you.    All without your active input. 


I’m intrigued by the unexpected events that show up for me, and how they open the door to spontaneity.  Whether welcome or not, these unforeseen moments offer me a chance to choose how I will respond.  

Admittedly, I haven’t always been graceful or even grateful when I’ve been surprised.  There are plenty of times I’ve wished for a rewind so I could feel more comfortable and poised with my response, and yet even my dissatisfaction is a gift.  It captures my attention and motivates me to evaluate, reframe and reform.  And I suppose it will always be that way.  My evolution guarantees it.  

I’ve found the more these unplanned events occur the better I receive.  
In my opinion, it’s courageous to greet the unplanned and treat it as a welcome friend.  And why not?  Why not release the skepticism and jadedness that comes from unfulfilled promises and controlled organization?  Why not run with the serendipity of the unplanned and smile at coincidence?  Why not let magic weigh in and tilt your life a bit?   

I think it’s beautiful.   



When have you let spontaneity lead the way?



 Let's skip a few rocks, and create some ripples...

~Asia

No comments:

Post a Comment