An Open Door to Conversation

An Open Door to Conversation

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

All That Sparkles. The 5 Joys of Jewelry


Its no surprise people slow their pace as they pass a jewelry store.  It’s in our nature.  From local shopping malls and farmers markets, to the streets of India and Ireland, I’ve seen people stop mid-stride to admire the magical combination of metal and stone.  It’s a love that is both global and individual, and perfectly sized to fit.  There are few things that can play a role so vast and make itself at home on your finger at the same time.
Golden Agate Ring by Asia Raine
As a silversmith, I am enchanted by the creativity and diversity expressed through the art of jewelry making. It engages all of my senses.  
I smell the earth in the raw stone ready to be shaped, and gently handle a faceted gem.  I’ve felt the sting of the hammer, the cut of a saw, and the heat of soldered metal.  I’ve tasted a multitude of emotions as metal, stone, flame, water, pearl, and jewel have taught me their language.  The style and form of a finished product reveals the whisper of connection between self and elements that dazzles the eye.  And I’ve inhaled the joy of sharing my craft with others.


Truly, there is much to love about the creations we call jewelry, and I’d like to share five of my favorite joys.

1.     Connection 
I was one of those kids that ran around with rocks and feathers in her pockets.  It was portable nature, it fit in my hand, and it felt good.  As I learned the skills of a silver smith, I felt like I’d been given the passkey to another level of the natural world. It’s like Mother Nature invited me for a cup of tea to dispel a few mysteries and I listened.  Naturally, I wanted to share my discovery with others.  One connection led to another, and not only have I developed a relationship with rocks and metal, I’ve expanded my community.  The magnetism inherent in jewelry affects people, drawing them in and expanding their reach.  It’s like breathing. I've made new friends, have new contacts and am enriched by new stories. The ring on your finger can ignite a conversation that someone relates to, and suddenly you’re fast friends.  Jewelry engages connection in the micro and macro of humans and nature. It marks a place where new relationships can begin.

Etched Brass Riveted to Copper Cuff by Asia Raine
 2.     Symbolism
Without much effort, jewelry artfully segues connection and symbolism. People often ask about the meanings connected to the stones and gems. Or they’ll ask about the value of the metal.  For many reasons, both esoteric and practical, symbolism is inherently linked to jewelry.  We can understand and relate to ancient cultures through observing their use of jewelry and the symbolism associated with it.  Jewelry can be an indicator of marriage and commitment, of religious or group affiliations, or a marker of rank and status.  It offers a way to reveal a mystical side, or display a refinement that speaks without making a sound.  The jewelry you wear is a symbol that reflects your values, tastes, ideals and preferences.  It’s a demonstration of you.


3.     Expression
The world is viewed through millions of eyes translating beauty through each perception.  This is why jewelry is one of my favorite mediums of expression.  Give an artist the material and tools, and unique and wonderful forms arise.  From minimalistic to intricate or even extravagant, the techniques, materials and tools used to craft elements into a piece of jewelry, is alchemic.  But it doesn’t stop there.  How the jewelry is worn is truly the showcasing of its expression.  There is a fluid transition from symbolism to personal expression.  Of course how jewelry is worn, where it is worn and why, are all wrapped up in the elegant, glittering, shiny statements expressed on millions of bodies world wide. 

4.     Emotion
I consider this the elusive “Why” of jewelry love.  The emotions that originate from the creating, the purchase, the giving, and the wearing are powerful and motivating.  There is often a story behind each piece and an emotion elicited each time it is talked about.  The richness of jewelry extends far beyond the price tag.  Jewelry carries stories that last lifetimes. 
Labradorite & Rhyolite Pendants by Asia 

5.     Bling Factor 
The sparkle, the magic, the light, the way a diamond is cut and reflects its own beauty, (inclusions and all), this is the draw of the bling.  Its power is seductive. I believe it is because inwardly, we recognize our own reflection in the jewelry that draws us.  Humans shine.  We’re multi faceted and valuable.  We’re unique and we have deep meaning.  Each jewel, each watch, ring, pearl or band is made from the same stuff we are.  And jewelry is way through which we can we can hold our own brilliance in our hand.

So next time your step is altered by a shiny gem or stately timepiece, honor that moment and pause.  Enjoy the moment.  Hold it close and see the bling.  Wish and save and bring that symbol into your life.  
For what you’re seeing is yourself. 




Join the conversation.   What Sparkles for You?  What is your favorite thing about jewelry?
Share your comment....



No comments:

Post a Comment